Monday, March 14, 2011

It's Time!

If I stay true to my intent, (which was to suggest to anyone interested how to stop bad habits and pick up new ones to meet a goal of getting healthy,) I need to pay a little bit more than lip service to the exercise piece.

Exhibit A.  I knew it was happening, because he would tell me at the end of rushed conversations that he would call me back after the gym, but I guess I didn't give it the real 2 brain cells rubbing together to process that our son, Stratton, started working out.  Like he was on a mission. So when he walked in for Spring Break, and AJ said, "You look like you've lost a lot of weight," to which he replied, "I've lost 17 pounds this semester!" it hit me.

Doing nothing more than working out.  Not a single change in his (mostly liquid) diet.  "Just" working out.  Now that he had my attention, he replied to her inquisition, "a few laps around the track, 30 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes on the stair climber and a sauna to finish up the 45 minutes."

Boom.

Exhibit B.  My friend Courtney.  "Tired of the muffin top," she started doing a rigorous daily routine that is all the rage these days.  I'm sure you know someone who is doing it as well.  I've not laid eyes on her, so I can't attest to the physical change.  But what I HAVE done is keep up with her mental attitude (admittedly, through Facebook) and have to remark how positive, dedicated, bubbly and enthusiastic she is about her passion.  She cooks healthy food, she shares her healthy recipes, she genuinely wants to help others ignite the flame.

Now I hate exercise as much as the next person, and you wanna talk "busy," I'll stack my schedule against yours any day.  But look at it this way.  You find time for the internet; otherwise you wouldn't be reading my blog right now.  You find time to watch American Idol.  (You DO, don't you?)

Take a look at the simplicity of Stratton's routine.  Or take a look at the devotion of Courtney in front of her tv each day.  Why not meet somewhere in the middle of that?  Can you find time to walk 3 miles in the glorious Spring weather?  Now that daylights savings time has happened again and we have longer days, would it be possible to add 45 minutes outside before starting your inside routine?

Let's visit about this again....I think it's a big deal.  No, I know it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment