Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This is my plan...

You already know me (or you know someone who does) or you wouldn't be reading this intro.  So I'll spare you the resume and the history lesson.  You know that my family means everything to me: that I am married to the nicest man on earth and that my two kids are practically perfect. You know that THIS go-round, I'm making my career in the oil and gas industry.  I have the most wonderful job and work with and for the nicest people.  No complaints, truly.

But my LAST career was and is still a huge part of who I am, how I live, and what I care about.  And that's how to get and stay healthy through food.  I worked for a fairly well-known (about to be wayyy more known, thanks to reality tv) treatment center specializing in eating disorders for 7 years.  I have had the pleasure of working with men and women in professions ranging from an medical doctor to a nun, between the ages of 13 and 77, who have struggled to stay healthy, in spite of their eating habits. And the resounding theme that I have come to know is that people don't know how or what to eat.   Nor, for that matter, do they know where to start.  Anyone who reads a magazine or their home page is inundated with 10 or 100 or 1000 "tips" to a better life.  But that's too much for anyone to take in and apply.

I have had a notion for a while that the average person just doesn't KNOW where to begin.   My idea is to present you with ONE healthy idea or habit to start, or a yucky habit to stop, with each new post.  There is no rule; you might miss a few posts; don't beat yourself up.  My theory is that any positive change is better than no change at all.

Finally, I welcome your comments.  Maybe if comments become a "forum," you can create a responsive community on here.  But I don't think I'll respond.  That would come dangerously close to counseling, and I would need LOTS more information about you to work with you individually.

To recap:  a few stories, a few pictures, a few recipes, and a few ideas to chew on....I'm in!  Anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Alicia:
    Nice blog. Check out http://dlvr.it/ to send your blog striaght to facebook. You can also put in a box for people to be notified when you post via e-mail (www.marriedtoayid.com)

    ReplyDelete