Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wait. What? Chicken and Waffles?

Today, I went out to lunch with my work pals to celebrate a sweet young friend’s birthday.  We went to a DELICIOUS place in Ft. Worth called Buttons, that apparently is even BETTER at night, what with the dressed up crowd and the Frank Sinatra singer workin’ the crowd.  You should go.
But naturally, this post is about food.  It’s not that I don’t get out much---actually, the truth is, I hardly go out for lunch because that is when I work out (if you can call it that.) My lunch is eaten sitting at my desk afterward. 
So it never fails to ASTONISH me what (and how much) people eat.  It bears repeating---this food was divine.  But imagine a round platter.  On it, picture 4 halves (not quarters) of inch thick waffles, stacked all fanned out and fancy.  Strawberries, butter and syrup rounded out the “and waffles” portion of the platter.  Then on the other half sat a large hunk of what was presumably fried chicken.  I say that with a question mark because it was indistinguishable in shape because of the fried batter.  But wait.  There’s more.  Sitting atop the chicken must’ve been at least 1/2 cup of fried shoestring sweet potatoes.  (That were maybe the best thing I’ve tasted in a while.)
It was so massive that my friend who ordered it asked me to take a picture.  If I can figure out how to upload it, you’ll see for yourself.
FOR LUNCH.  Can you imagine what the dinner menu must yield?
People.  Peeeeeeople.  Please tell me you think that’s outrageous.  If there’s one thing I’d like you to take away from my rants and raves, it’s PORTION CONTROL.  (Go back to my early post about this very thing.)  It is just silly to think you can eat what you are served with abandon, and not expect the health consequences.   4 halves of waffles (I’m waffling-pun intented-on the thickness because these were monster waffles) equals at least 2 starches.  The 1/2 cup of fried sweet potato shoe strings is another starch.  The batter on the chicken...who can count that high.  The chicken was larger than a deck of cards, so I’m going to say at least 6 ounces.  Strawberries are such a good choice, and butter goes with waffles.  But when the butter plop looks like a golfball, instead of a pat (you DO know what a pat of butter looks like, right) then I’m calling that at least 3 servings of fat.....
Let’s remember this:  no matter what meal, no matter what snack, no matter what drink, portions COUNT.  If you feel guilty for paying for that much food without eating it, share a platter.  Or take home 2/3 of it for 2 more meals.  Just don’t give into the “what the hecks.”  Practice some of your skills and order/choose the best option (and don’t be afraid to ask for a healthier version, as I did,) then only eat what you know to be the right amount.
My shrimp and grits (albeit ordered fussily---I asked if my shrimp could be grilled instead of fried) were served with an egg over easy on top.  I will be dreamin’ about it tonight!
Happy Birthday, sweet Kristi!

2 comments:

  1. Excuse me,but All of that sounds grosse to me.Waffles? If I was craving them,I would take 1 bite.I hate fried chicken.The only way I eat chicken if it's in a quesadilla.And an order of quesadillas holds 4 flour tortillas and who knows how much cheese and then onion that doesn't count for anything.They cut those 4 tortillas in 8 pieces.I can eat 2 whole pieces and sometimes just one and a half.I am not tooting my horn hear on how little I eat.What I am doing is saying I have lost 70+pounds and kept it off for years.I did it with portion control.I eat anything and everything I want.If it's grossly not clean food like Alicia talks,I eat a bite.Just a bite.If I am dying for a French frie,okay,I pick the biggest one and REAL not fake.I take the big piece,and I get 8 bites out of it. JOY. Thanks for doing your blogs again Alica,I really appreciate what you say. You need to lay your eyes on you.You haven't seen me since I lost weight. You might go look at my newest profile pic on FB. That's a pretty good picture of my waist up. I will get Ken to take a pic and send to you my long lost friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to lay your eyes on ME! Dur...

    ReplyDelete