Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Clean Food

I was en route from Lubbock weekend #1 on our normal menu planning day, so I left Joe to his own devices with very little input from me, believe it or not.  The only thing I requested was salmon one night and spaghetti pile-on another.  Beyond that, I was just so grateful that I got a bye from the chore, and that he was such a good sport about doing it solo!

Even though I'm not his mother, for Mother's Day, the man treated me to shrimp and pasta with champagne cream sauce, salad and garlic breadsticks.  He even bought fat free cream to add to the sauce instead of the real stuff.  Monday night, he fixed breaded cutlet parmiagiano with a 3 bean salad.  Tonight, we had baked salmon dijon and with a broccoli and corn casserole....

All so good.  And so thoughtful.  And so sweet in so many ways.

But you know what?  I want some clean food.  Bad.

Clean food is not food that's gone through the wash.  Rather, it's food in its normal, un-tricked up state.  Grilled salmon and corn on the cob, for example.  Or a delicious shrimp boil with a fiery horseradish-y red sauce and a green salad with red onion and a sassy little vinaigrette.

What comes to mind when I say "clean food?"  Do you curl your lip because it sounds boring or reminds you too much of your last diet?  Have you talked yourself into thinking that if a lovely piece of salmon doesn't have a buttery yellow sauce on it that it's pitiful?

Take a look at your menu this week.  (You DO have a menu, right?) Are you more like Joe, where everything has a topper and a casserole side dish?  Or are you more like me, where I could almost eat out of one of those old school cafeteria trays with compartments?  How about taking a MODERATE approach (and you know I know when I point one finger at you, I've got 3 pointing right back at me!)  How about a compromise?

Share with me what you're eating these days, folks!  I'm back, and I'm focused on talking about real things we can all do right now, today, to change our habits and get healthy.

P.S.  Thanks for the encouragement, friends!

1 comment: