Saturday, February 26, 2011

"I Couldn't Help It"

This morning, as I made my way to gate 6 at Love field, (headed for Boston!) I was overpowered by the delicious, intoxicating aroma of freshly baked cinnabons.  I had already eaten my breakfast, pre-crack of dawn, so I wasn’t hungry, nor tempted.  But it made me aware of several things all at once.  It’s the topic of today’s blog....
The “I couldn’t help it” confession.
Back to my original theory that most of us simply don’t know anything about what’s making us unhealthy, I present to you “Exhibit A.”  I sat next to a cute little older lady(these days, I don’t use “old” anymore, because it’s like the pot calling the kettle black) while waiting to board.  Her conversation to her companion went something like this:
Confessor, (giggling):  “I just ate one of those cinnamon rolls.  I had to...they were calling my name...  At least I didn’t get two!”

Friend, as she’s munching on that trail mix they sell in the airport little store, and feeling wayyyy superior that she’s eating “healthy”:  “Don’t I know it!  That’s why I bought these.  So I wouldn’t give in to temptation!   Oh well.  You only live once!”  So many ways to go here, that it's hard to concentrate.

But the "I couldn't help myself" excuse needs to be exorcised.

Yes.  Yes she COULD HAVE helped it.  
She shouldn’t have walked in hungry.  She should’ve eaten a decent breakfast at home. (Peanut butter on an English muffin is very quick and very portable!)  And if she HAD, by chance eaten already, she should’ve checked in with her stomach to see if she was um, HUNGRY.  (What a concept, right?)
She should’ve been aware that Mr. Cinnabon bakes those yummy concoctions timed so that the waft of cinnamon and yeast bread makes her crazy.  He’s no dummy.  It’s his business to sell her sweet rolls.  She is just exactly the sucker he gets up in the morning  for, then laughs all the way to the bank.  Remember, digestion starts first with the eyes and nose...powerful senses, these two.
She should’ve been armed with the facts.  She should’ve known that instead of the “only” one cinnamon roll she ate, she could’ve had a half cup of oatmeal with a few walnuts, an orange and a glass of skim milk.  (Fiber, excellent whole grains, the right kind of unsaturated fat, citrusy vitamin c, and some protein in the milk.)  And would’ve eaten less calories...  Look it up.  
Listen, for what it’s worth.  I have my moments.  I never want anyone to think I’m not just as human as this lady.  But I call a spade a spade.  I always, always make a choice, (good or bad) having taken a look at probable consequences.  A long time ago, I made an informal list of “instant regret” foods.  You know those foods that you eat and almost before you’re finished, feel crummy over?  Whether it’s a physical reaction or a mental one, foods on this list just aren’t worth it to me.  Donuts are on this list for me.  Instantly, I get this filmy greasy coating on the roof of my mouth that no amount of chewing gum or water will remove.  It requires brushing.  Other foods are on my "instant regret" list because they are just so unhealthy that I feel guilty for junking up my body.  Dodie’s seasoned french fries, for example.  Just so good, but sooo bad.
You only have this life to live.  It’s true.  So instead of viewing this as a reason to mistreat your body and make horrible food decisions, why on earth don’t you make mental and physical changes to ensure this life is long, disease-free, easy and happy?

1 comment:

  1. IF I am hungry I will buy one,take one normal bite,savor that bite and I used to give the rest to Ken. no longer,I throw it straight into the trash and keep walking thru the airport. Actually I always carry a nut bar that is absolutely healthy and very crunchy but small so I am not overwhelmed and if I am traveling, a cut up apple in a ziploc and a peeled and separated orange in a different ziploc. Since I listen to my stomach now,it is my priority to have something to eat with me so I don't get hungry and freak out. love ya Lisha

    ReplyDelete